Adam D. Baker - Partner
Adam D. Baker is a partner in the firm's Land Use and Zoning group with a focus on real estate transactions. Since 2006, Adam has represented developers, institutions, property owners and companies in a variety of transactional and administrative real estate matters. Adam advises clients on all aspects of land use and zoning issues, primarily in Baltimore, Howard and Anne Arundel Counties. His practice includes representation before government and regulatory organizations and counseling clients on issues related to the entitlement and permit processes, including use restrictions, off-street parking requirements, stormwater management, historic preservation, traffic mitigation, green building requirements and incentives, and inclusionary housing obligations, among others.
Adam also counsels developers and property owners in a variety of transactional matters, including leasing, development, construction, financing, land acquisition and disposition.
He is a LEED accredited professional of the U.S. Green Building Council and has spoken and written extensively on the topic of sustainable development.
- Obtained Conditional Use and Variance approval for gas station redevelopment in Ellicott City in Howard County. Redevelopment consisted of new canopy and 4 additional fueling positions, remove existing service garage and replace with 3,500 sf convenience store, improved ingress/egress, and new signage.
- Obtained rezoning for two Baltimore County shopping center properties to allow expansion/redevelopment to incorporate multifamily component to existing shopping center. Rezonings were accomplished through the Baltimore County Comprehensive Zoning Map Process.
- Obtained variance approval for development of a new 121,500 sf self-storage facility in Baltimore County. The approval, while relatively straightforward, involved considerable engagement with community and County Councilperson.
- Obtained development approval for a 30,000 square foot expansion of existing 120,000 sf self-storage facility in Odenton Town Center in Anne Arundel County.
- Obtained variance relief for residential development on undersized lots in Baltimore County.
- Obtained Special Exception approval for 45,000 square foot expansion of existing self-storage facility in Anne Arundel County.
- Represented Developer in obtaining zoning approval for a 142,000 sf self-storage facility in Baltimore County. The approval consisted of several setback variances and a special exception to permit an apartment use in a commercial building for the on-site property manager. Obtained development approval for the proposed facility through the Baltimore County Development Review Committee.
- Represented Restaurant in obtaining Conditional Use and Variance approval in Howard County to expand existing restaurant operation to include on site garden, reception area, and private dining component.
- Represented Farm/Community Sustainable Agriculture Program in obtaining zoning variance relief to permit existing farm structures located within the required yard setbacks to remain in Howard County. Worked with County Council representative and neighbor to address encroachment issues unrelated to the requested zoning relief, which resulted in County Council and neighbor’s support of the petition.
- Represented Catholic Religious Order in obtaining development approvals for construction of a facility which included new residences and offices for resident priests on their property in Baltimore City. Coordinated with community organization and City Council representative in obtaining support for the development.
- Represented regional car wash operator in obtaining a Special Exception approval to permit a car wash facility in Baltimore County.
- Represented a local bank in obtaining zoning and development relief to permit an addition to its existing office building with accessory parking in a residential zone. Worked extensively with County Council representative and community organization in addressing community concerns and obtaining community support of the project before the Administrative Law Judge.
- Represented Cemetery in amending existing Special Exception approval to add a pet crematorium facility with accessory parking to existing cemetery operation in Baltimore County.
- Represented Developer in obtaining necessary zoning and development approval for a 9 lot residential subdivision in Baltimore County.
- Represented Developer in obtaining Special Exception relief for a proposed self-storage facility in Anne Arundel County.
- Represented Medical Office in obtaining a zoning variance approval to erect a wall mounted sign on their building in Baltimore County.
- Represented Health Care Provider in obtaining zoning variance relief to permit an illuminated wall mounted sign on their medical office building in Baltimore County.
- Representing Regional Utility Provider in petitioning Baltimore City Council for amendments to a comprehensive rezoning bill.
- Represented a Country Club in petitioning the City Council for amendments to the comprehensive rezoning bill.
- Represented local Kennel in obtaining confirmation of a nonconforming use through a special hearing in Baltimore County.
- Represented Developer in obtaining approval of a Planned Unit Development (PUD) in Baltimore County which consisted of a combination of uses including a variety of home types, retail/office services, a community center, a new elementary school site, playgrounds and ball fields, preservation of a historic house, and an integrated open space system throughout the development.
- Represented Developer in obtaining approval of a Planned Unit Development for a mixed use development consisting of retail, office and residential in Baltimore County. Worked extensively with county agencies and County Council in initial approval and two subsequent plan amendments.
- Represented Developer in obtaining special exception approval for a proposed Wawa gas station and convenience store use in the City of Laurel.
- Represented Developer in obtaining zoning and development approvals for 42 lot residential single family subdivision in Baltimore County. Matter was approved by the Administrative Law Judge and appealed to the Board of Appeals and later to the Circuit Court, where it was dismissed after we were able to negotiate a Settlement Agreement with the opposition to the proposed development.
- Represented Senior Housing Developer in Baltimore County in obtaining approval for a Planned Unit Development (PUD) consisting of a variety of independent living units, assisted living units and Alzheimer’s care units for a total of 225 units.
- Represented Developer in obtaining approval for a Medical Office Planned Unit Development in Baltimore County. This matter was appealed to the Maryland Court of Special Appeals where we prevailed on behalf of our client.
- Represented Developer in obtaining Special Exception approval for Wawa gas station and convenience store use in Baltimore County. The matter is currently before the Maryland Court of Appeals.
- University of Baltimore School of Law (J.D., 2005)
- Washington and Lee University (B.A., 2001)