Robert M. Berman - Associate
Robert Berman is an associate in RMG’s Business Planning & Transactions, Real Estate and Commercial Lending Groups. Robert primarily handles complex corporate and commercial real estate transactions and advises clients through various deal structures, including mergers, acquisitions, developments, leasing, and financing. His clients include corporations, lending institutions, private equity funds, developers, investors and operators. He is a member of the Maryland State Bar Association.
Robert began his legal career working at Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton LLP in the Corporate Practice Group in the firm’s Washington D.C. office, practicing general corporate law, with an emphasis on mergers and acquisitions. Robert has experience representing private equity firms and companies in a range of industries, including aerospace and defense, technology and manufacturing.
Mr. Berman received his Juris Doctorate from the University of Maryland, Francis King Carey School of Law, his Masters of Business Administration from the University of Maryland, Smith School of Business and his Bachelor of Arts in English Language and Literature from the University of Maryland, College Park.
- Represent national and regional owners and developers in all aspects of acquisition and development of improved and unimproved real estate, construction, financing and refinancing, and leasing, including negotiating leasing transactions with “big box” tenants.
- Represented largest Maryland-based self-service storage company Maryland-based in the sale of its 4.2 million square foot self-storage portfolio that was purchased by California-based firm for a reported price of $1.8 billion.
- Represented national industry-leading entertainment venue company in the successful negotiation and sale of multi-million dollar real estate assets.
- Represented national hotel operator in acquisitions of multi-million dollar hotels and real estate.
BUSINESS PLANNING & TRANSACTIONS
- Represent small business owners with respect to general corporate and real estate needs, including corporate governance, leasing, and financing matters.
- Advises on entity formation choices for new investments and business ventures, and assist with the creation of corporations, partnerships and limited liability companies.
- Advise companies and boards of directors on corporate governance and policy matters.
- Represent businesses in the negotiation and drafting of contracts with third-parties for manufacturing of goods, purchases and sales of goods and services, licensing of intellectual property, publishing, consulting, etc.
- Represent businesses in the negotiation and drafting of agreements between stockholders, members, owners and others of buy-sell, right of first refusal and covenant not-to-compete agreements.
- Represented national licensee and distributor of impaired vision technologies in its negotiation of licensing and distribution agreements with cross-border manufacturers.
MERGERS AND ACQUISITIONS
- Represent private equity firms and small to mid-sized business in mergers, acquisitions, asset purchases and divestitures, strategic alliances and joint ventures.
- Represented industry-leading pharmaceutical services company, including successful negotiation and acquisition of multi-million dollar competing business.
- Represented Maryland-based cannabis dispensary business in multi-million dollar negotiation and sale of equity to industry leading acquiror.
- Represented photography and related services business in the successful negotiation and sale of multi-million dollar assets.
- Represent national and state-chartered banks in loan facilities, including originations, restructurings and workouts, secured by commercial and residential real estate as well as operating assets.
- Represented national bank in multi-million dollar successful negotiation, documentation and origination of construction loan facility borrowed by industry-leading developer.
- Represented lending institution in multi-million dollar successful negotiation, documentation and original of hotel acquisition loan facility.
- University of Maryland, Francis King Carey School of Law, J.D. (2019)
- University of Maryland, Smith School of Business, M.B.A (2019)
- University of Maryland, B.A. (2015)