Jonathan Z. May - Partner
Jon leads the firm’s Business Planning & Transactions practice group, and contributes to the Tax & Wealth Planning and Tax Controversy groups, bringing over 25 years of experience advising clients on business, transactional, corporate and tax matters.
Clients Jon represents include established and emerging businesses operating in various industries (e.g., sales, manufacturing, distribution of products, business and consumer services, and professional services). Jon also represents numerous tax-exempt associations and organizations such as charities, professional and trade associations, health care providers, educational institutions, human services organizations and providers of housing, support and care services to seniors (e.g., assisted living, long-term care and home care). He advises clients on a variety of general corporate and business law matters, and acts as general outside counsel for a number of organizations and companies. Select experience includes entity formations, joint ventures, asset acquisitions and mergers, contract negotiations, regulatory compliance, corporate governance, tax planning and tax controversy matters. Click here to read more about Jon's practice and representative experience.
Jon is a member of the American Bar Association (Taxation Committee and Subcommittee on Exempt Organizations), the Maryland State Bar Association and the District of Columbia Bar Association; he also is a past Chair of the ASAE Ethics Committee, serves as the Immediate Past Chair of Leadership Howard County and previously served as a board member for the Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service. Jon’s educational degrees includes a B.S. from the University of Maryland, a J.D. from University of Baltimore School of Law, an LL.M. in Taxation from Georgetown University Law Center, and a Master’s Degree in Management of Aging Services from the University of Maryland Baltimore County. He is licensed to practice in the State of Maryland and the District of Columbia.
- Law, Ethics and Longevity. A course that is part of graduate level curriculum at the University of Maryland Baltimore County’s Erickson School of Aging Studies.
- Nonprofit Governance – Top Ten Things Directors of Nonprofit Organizations Need to Know about Fiduciary Duties and Board Responsibilities. Leadership Howard County, Leadership Premier Program Day, “Giving Back: Time, Treasure and Talent”
- Charitable Solicitations and Protection of Charitable Assets. MACPA 2015 Government and Not-For-Profit Conference
- Effective Board Governance - An Attorney's Perspective. The United Methodist Association 75th Annual Conference
- To Shred or Not to Shred – Guidance for Nonprofits on Document Retention and Destruction. Lorman Education Services webinar.
- University of Maryland, Baltimore County (M.A., Management of Aging Services, 2008)
- Georgetown University Law Center (LL.M, Taxation, 1993)
- University of Baltimore School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 1988)
- University of Maryland (B.S. 1985)
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. District Court: District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court: District of Columbia