Charles N. Curlett, Jr. - Partner
Charles (“Chad”) Curlett is a former Manhattan prosecutor and experienced trial attorney. A leader in the federal criminal bar, Chad is a Fellow of the Foundation of the Federal Bar Association, as well as a past Chair of the Criminal Law Section and a past President of the Maryland Chapter. For over 20 years Chad has represented clients in high-profile investigations and litigation. Chad’s practice primarily involves conducting internal investigations, defending clients accused of business and financial crime, and business litigation. He is also a FINRA arbitrator.
Chad began his legal career in the Office of the Prosecutor of the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia in The Hague, the Netherlands, where he was principally involved in the investigation and trial of a Bosnian Serb General for genocide committed in Srebrenica, Bosnia and Herzegovina in July 1995.
Chad then served as an Assistant District Attorney in the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office. His work in the Trial Division included the prosecution and trial of felony criminal cases involving narcotics and weapons offenses, assault and homicide. Appointed by then-District Attorney Robert M. Morgenthau to Investigation Division Central, Chad pursued the investigation and prosecution of domestic and international financial crime.
Chad entered private practice in 2006 joining the litigation practice of an AmLaw firm, where he became a partner and was the vice-chair of the white collar and government enforcement practice group. Prior to joining Rosenberg Martin Greenberg in 2019, Chad practiced for seven years at Levin & Curlett LLC, the white-collar litigation firm that he founded with Steven Levin.
- Represented employees of Audi in the United States Department of Justice’s investigation into Volkswagen’s violation of US environmental laws through the manipulation of the emissions systems of its diesel engines.
- Represented an employee of a crypto currency exchange in connection with investigations by the United States Department of Justice and the Commodity Futures Trading Commission into allegations of market manipulation.
- Represented the lead analyst on the financial industry trading desk at a leading New York City hedge fund in connection with the SEC’s investigation into short selling as a contributing factor to the collapse of Lehman Brothers.
- Represented individuals and companies in connection with SEC investigations concerning allegations of insider trading and unregistered business activity and investment programs.
- Conducted an internal investigation for a Maryland company, in advance of its merger with a publicly traded company, related to possible violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- Conducted an internal investigation for a leading Las Vegas gaming company into performance under a contract with an Australian software provider in advance of approval by the Nevada Gaming Control Board of its sports book software platform.
- Served as a member of the Atrocities Documentation Team, a genocide investigation undertaken by the United States Department of State in eastern Chad. Conducted field interviews of Darfurians in UNHCR refugee camps established along the border of Chad and Sudan to protect those fleeing from advancing forces. On the basis of the investigation, the Bush Administration took the public legal position that the actions of Sudan’s government in Darfur, acting in concert with the Janjaweed militias, constituted genocide.
- Obtained the largest settlement for a police misconduct case in Baltimore’s history, which arose out of alleged civil rights violations by members of the Baltimore Police Department that led to one man’s wrongful incarceration for over 20 years
- Represented a Wall Street financial services firm in litigation in the Southern District of New York against American Airlines arising out of the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001
- Served on the team of the Independent Monitor appointed by the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan to implement two consent judgments entered in the matter of United States of America vs. City of Detroit, Michigan and the Detroit Police Department
- Represented officers and directors of publicly traded Maryland companies, as well as the corporate entity, in shareholder derivative and class action litigation in the United States District Court in Maryland
- Represented the general partners of a Delaware LLLP in litigation in the Delaware Court of Chancery to remove the managing general partner for the misappropriation of millions of dollars of partnership funds
- Defended a business owner at trial and on appeal on federal charges of mail and wire fraud, money laundering and bankruptcy fraud
- Won acquittal after jury trial of a New Jersey Police Detective charged with first degree murder following a road-side shooting near Annapolis, Maryland
- Won acquittal after trial of a Baltimore City Police Officer prosecuted for actions undertaken in the performance of his duties
- Won a motion hearing to transfer the case of a 15-year-old defendant charged with first degree murder from the Baltimore City Circuit Court to Juvenile Court
- Twenty-Sixth Annual National Seminar on Federal Sentencing, St. Petersburg, Florida, Panel on Economic Crimes (2017)
- Twenty-Fifth Annual National Seminar on Federal Sentencing, Orlando, Florida, Plenary Session on Departures and Variances (2016)
- Federal Bar Association – 2016 National Meeting and Convention, Cleveland, Ohio, Panel on What the Busy Trial Lawyer Needs to Know About the Federal Rules of Evidence (2016)
- Leiden University, Leiden Law School, (LL.M., Public International Law, 2001)
- The Hague Academy of International Law (Certificate, Public International Law, 1999)
- Brooklyn Law School (J.D., 1998)
- Johns Hopkins University (B.A., 1993)
- New York
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Second and Fourth Circuits
- U.S. District Courts for the District of Maryland, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, and the District of Columbia