Adam Ruther - Partner
Adam is a partner in the Criminal Defense and Investigations and the Litigation groups. He began his career as a prosecutor, gaining invaluable trial experience while serving as an Assistant State’s Attorney in both Montgomery County and Baltimore City, where he was assigned to the Major Investigations Unit investigating and prosecuting organized crime cases. Since joining the firm in 2015, Adam has put his extensive courtroom experience to work for his clients at RMG, advising and advocating for them not only through state and federal white collar criminal investigations and prosecutions but also through the complexities of high-stakes business litigation. Because Adam understands from experience how a case will need to play out in a courtroom, he can guide his clients through the litigation process and conduct a case thoroughly yet efficiently, always focused on his client’s goals. He has advised and represented individuals and business clients in a wide array of matters, from multi-million-dollar intellectual property and trade secrets disputes, real estate development litigation, and employment and business entity disputes, to state and federal criminal investigations into corruption, fraud, and tax crimes, as well as internal investigations.
Adam taught as an Adjunct Professor at the University of Baltimore School of Law for seven years, teaching advocacy, writing, and criminal procedure. He is a member of the Maryland State Bar Association’s Maryland Criminal Pattern Jury Instructions Committee, as well as an active member of the MSBA’s Young Lawyers and Criminal Law sections, the Bar Association of Baltimore City, the Federal Bar Association, and the American Bar Association. He is also the editing co-author of the Second Edition of Professor Byron L. Warnken’s treatise, Maryland Criminal Procedure, Volumes I & II, published by the Maryland State Bar Association in November 2022.
Adam is a 2008 graduate of the University of Baltimore School of Law, and he earned his undergraduate degree in English Literature and Honors Studies from Montana State University in 2004. He is admitted to the Maryland Bar, the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit. Adam also appears frequently on television and radio news programs as a commentator on legal issues and events. Clips of some of his media appearances are available under his publications link.
- Represented subsidiary of a multinational conglomerate in multimillion-dollar trade secret and intellectual property theft dispute over proprietary gaming technology against former customer in federal court in Kentucky.
- Represented military contractor in multimillion-dollar patent infringement suit brought by competitor.
- Represented national outdoor advertising company in dispute over ownership of property, resulting in verdict in client’s favor after trial.
- Represented group of business owners in Maryland Tax Court seeking refund of illegally collected licensing fees, resulting in complete refund after victory before Maryland Court of Special Appeals and Maryland Tax Court.
- Represented real estate developer in criminal case brought by disgruntled contractor, resulting in acquittal after trial.
- Represented real estate developer in suit by contractor over disputed fees, resulting in verdict against contractor and in favor of developer for damages after trial.
- Represented federal criminal defendant in death-penalty eligible prosecution resulting in favorable plea.
- Represented former Baltimore City Police Commissioner in federal criminal tax prosecution.
- Represented business owner in federal trafficking in stolen property prosecution resulting in favorable plea and below-guidelines sentence.
- Represented successful Baltimore company in investigation and defense of employment discrimination claims by former employees.
- Lecturer, Do’s and Don’ts of the Fourth Amendment for Officers of the Baltimore County Police Department (October 2014)
- Lecturer, Police Interviews and Interrogations Seminar, Lorman Education Services (August 2012)
- University of Baltimore School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2008)
- Montana State University (B.A., cum laude, 2004)
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland