Richard L. Adams - Associate
Ricky is an attorney in Rosenberg Martin Greenberg’s Tax and Wealth Planning group, focusing his practice in the areas of Estate Planning, Elder Law, Medicaid Planning, Estate, Probate & Trust Administration, Adult Guardianship, and Special Needs Planning. Ricky’s practice includes assisting with the legal needs of same-sex couples and other members of the LGBTQ community.
Ricky has significant experience in his practice areas, having worked for almost seventeen years in the legal field, ten of those years as a paralegal. Prior to becoming an attorney, Ricky would work hand-in-hand with clients and other professionals to achieve results and meet objectives. Thus, Ricky is able to leverage his ample practical expertise to benefit his clients.
As part of his Estate Planning practice, Ricky prepares various documents, including Last Will and Testaments, Revocable and Irrevocable Trusts, Financial Powers of Attorney, Health Care Powers of Attorney/Living Wills, and Deeds, among others. Ricky is also able to skillfully protect assets while obtaining Long Term Care Medical Assistance benefits for clients, allowing for an improved quality of life and peace of mind for the applicant and their family.
Ricky is also available to counsel and advise on the proper administration of Estates and Trusts, providing legal advice to Personal Representatives and Trustees as they work to perform their fiduciary obligations, and to heirs and beneficiaries as to their distributions and associated rights. Ricky has experience in administering Trusts and Estates in a cost-effective manner, working to preserve the assets for the heirs, beneficiaries, and other family members.
Ricky enjoys working with clients of all ages, backgrounds, and needs. His approach to the practice of law incorporates a holistic and compassionate form of advocacy. Ricky patiently provides legal guidance and support to all of his clients, whether they are a married couple with new children on the way, or are transitioning from an active adult lifestyle to retirement and beyond.
- Ricky successfully defended a Personal Representative from frivolous Exceptions filed against several Administration Accounts. Ricky prepared and filed a substantive Response and vigorously defended his client before the Orphans’ Court for Baltimore City, which ultimately ruled in favor of Ricky’s client.
- Ricky’s clients often include new parents, looking to protect the needs and wishes of their minor children by nominating Guardians in their Last Will and Testaments. Without this, Maryland law provides a list of priority to be named Guardian, based on the legal relationship to the parents.
- Ricky consulted with a family and prepared a set of Last Will and Testaments for residents of both Maryland and New Zealand, pursuant to the Maryland International Wills Act, bringing peace of mind to the family.
- Ricky successfully protected the bulk of assets owned by a married couple by implementing effective elder law planning. The assets were transferred into the name of the sick spouse, with the children listed as beneficiaries. When the sick spouse passed away, the assets were transferred to the children, who will now shelter the funds to help care for the surviving parent.
- Ricky worked with the Guardian of a disabled individual to prepare and submit the required Annual Fiduciary Report and Annual Report of the Person to the Circuit Court for Baltimore City. Ricky worked closely with the Guardian to ensure they were properly handling the property of the disabled individual.
- Ricky often meets with clients at nursing home facilities, hospitals, or their homes, in order to discuss and prepare estate planning documents or to determine elder law planning needs.
recent speaking engagements
- National Business Institute – Speaker, “How to Administer an Estate” (February 2019).
- Bar Association of Baltimore City, Pro Bono Resource Center of Maryland, and Maryland Legal Aid – Speaker, “The Basics of Special Needs Planning in Maryland” (December 2018).
- HCR ManorCare and BrightStar Care – Generational Genius Panel – Panelist, “Estates and Trusts” (August 2018).
- M&T Bank – Baltimore Bankers Meeting – “Speaker, “Estate Planning – Back to Basics” (April 2018).
Ricky is available to present seminars on estate planning and elder law planning topics. He enjoys helping to educate and serving as a resource to others. Inquiries can be directed to email@example.com
- University of Baltimore School of Law, J.D. (2017)
- University of Maryland University College, B.S., Gerontology and Legal Studies (2012)