Jonathan Z. May - Partner
Jon joined the firm in February 2015 to lead the firm’s Business Planning & Transactions practice group, and contribute to the Tax & Wealth Planning and Tax Controversy groups, bringing over 25 years of experience advising clients on business, transactional, corporate and tax matters.
Clients Jon represents range from established and emerging businesses operating in various sectors, to nonprofit associations and charitable organizations, including health care providers, educational institutions, human services organizations and providers of housing, support and care services to seniors (e.g., assisted living, long-term care and home care). He advises clients on a variety of general corporate and business law matters, and acts as general outside counsel for a number of organizations and companies. Select experience includes entity formations, joint ventures, asset acquisitions and mergers, contract negotiations, regulatory compliance, corporate governance, tax planning and tax controversy matters. Click here to read more about Jon's practice and representative experience.
Jon is a member of the American Bar Association (Taxation Committee and Subcommittee on Exempt Organizations), the Maryland State Bar Association (Chair of the Section of Taxation’s Tax-Exempt Organizations Study Group) and the District of Columbia Bar Association; he is also the Chair of the ASAE Ethics Committee, serves as the Vice-Chair of Leadership Howard County and was a past board member for the Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service. Jon obtained a B.S. from the University of Maryland, his J.D. at the University of Baltimore School of Law, his LL.M. in Taxation at Georgetown University Law Center, and a Master’s Degree in Management of Aging Services from the University of Maryland Baltimore County. He is licensed to practice in the State of Maryland and the District of Columbia.
- Nonprofit Governance – Top Ten Things Directors of Nonprofit Organizations Need to Know about Fiduciary Duties and Board Responsibilities. May 12, 2015, Leadership Howard County, Leadership Premier 2015, “Giving Back: Time, Treasure and Talent”
- Charitable Solicitations and Protection of Charitable Assets. April 10, 2015, MACPA 2015 Government and Not-For-Profit Conference
- Effective Board Governance - An Attorney's Perspective. March 9, 2015, The United Methodist Association 75th Annual Conference
- University of Maryland, Baltimore County (M.A., Management of Aging Services, 2008)
- Georgetown University Law Center (LL.M, Taxation, 1993)
- University of Baltimore School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 1988)
- University of Maryland (B.S. 1985)
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. District Court: District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court: District of Columbia