- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Association (Taxation Law Section, Tax Council - 2010 to present)
- Certified Public Accountant
- American Association of Attorney-Certified Public Accountants
- Maryland Association of Certified Public Accountants
- Volunteer, Maryland Defense Force
- Instructor, Military Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program, Fort George G. Meade, Fort Meade, Maryland (2012-2015)
- 2015-2016 Board Member/Immediate Past President for the Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Maryland
- 2014-2015 Board Member/President for the Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Maryland
- 2013-2014 Board Member/President-Elect for the Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Maryland
- 2012-2013 Board Member/Treasurer for the Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Maryland
- APABA-DC Lawyers of Color: Inaugural Hot List Honoree (2013)
- Maryland Super Lawyers (2016-2017) - Tax
- Maryland Super Lawyers Rising Star (2012-2015) - Tax
- I reported my foreign financial accounts on my individual income tax return that I filed this past April. Am I done with my reporting requirements for the year?
- I owe more than $50,000 in tax, penalties and interest to the IRS. Can I lose my passport because of that?
- I applied for a license to operate as a medical marijuana grower, processor, or dispenser in Maryland. What tax issues will I face if I am granted a license?
Jim Liang - Partner
Jim Liang joined RMG’s tax department as an associate in 2007, having previously worked for the firm since 2004 while pursuing his law degree and LL.M. in Taxation. Mr. Liang’s practice involves representation of individuals and entities during all stages of federal and state tax controversies and litigation. Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Liang was employed as a Certified Public Accountant, during which time he prepared individual, business and trust tax returns and performed audits and reviews of a wide range of businesses, including health care, real estate and casualty and life insurance companies. Mr. Liang received his LL.M in Taxation from the University of Baltimore in 2007. He is admitted to practice in the State of Maryland, the United States District Court for the District of Maryland, the United States Tax Court, and the United States Court of Federal Claims. Mr. Liang is an active, licensed Certified Public Accountant in the State of Maryland. Mr. Liang also volunteers his time with the Maryland Defense Force, an organization which provides supplemental professional and technical support to the Maryland Military Department and the Maryland National Guard. In addition to providing legal assistance to Maryland National Guard units, MDDF legal professionals serve in each of the 23 counties in Maryland to ensure "local" legal support for every MDNG member and his or her family.
- University of Baltimore, LL.M., Taxation (2007)
- University of Baltimore, J.D., cum laude (2006)
- University of Maryland University College, B.S., Accounting (1998)
- Washington University, B.A. (1994)
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims